Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Memories, Motivation and Music

Today I would like to share a memory. A couple of days ago, I managed to find a poem, part of which has stayed with me for many years. I struggled to find it, as I thought it was from the lyrics of a song.

The memory I have is of spending a couple of creative hours with my sister. She put on a Hanoi Rocks album, and we spend a the time drawing or painting.

This was the Poem (the last verse) that was the abiding memory of that day.

The Paint Box -by E V Rieu

'Cobalt and umber and ultramarine,
Ivory black and emerald green -
What shall I paint to give pleasure to you?'
'Paint for me somebody utterly new.'

'I have painted you tigers in crimson and white.'
'The colours were good and you painted alright.'
'I have painted the cook and a camel in blue
And a panther in purple.' 'You painted them true.

Now mix me a colour that nobody knows,
And paint me a country where nobody goes,
And put in it people a little like you,
Watching a unicorn drinking the dew
.'


My motivation and part of my dream or goal, is to be able to write something good enough to read aloud in public. The invention of Utube has introduced me to Poetry Slam. This video is an excellent example of Slam.

Pretty - by Katie Makkai

(Please note there is at least one swear word, so may not be suitable for children viewing)




In turning my attention back to poetry, I realise poetry has never stopped being a part of my life. I am fortunate to be able to listen to music on the radio when driving as part of my day. The more I listen, the more poetic lyrics I discover. I have a marvelous soundtrack to my life!

Moving on, yesterday was a busy day in a practical sense, but I have a couple of things to add:

Gogyohka

Heart of a lion ~ size of a mouse ~ shying away ~ slowly - the roar is heard

In work ~ Find peace ~ Sated in mind ~ exercised body ~ balanced soul

Micro Poetry

The soundtrack to my life is poetry, if you can just hear past the music.

Who would have thought such a small act of kindness, could cross continents with a whisper.

No comments:

Post a Comment