Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Behind closed doors

oneshotwednesday - http://onestoppoetry.com/

The public face smiles, for the world to see,
but behind closed doors, it was only you and me,
It always caught me by surprise, I don’t know why,
Something simple, something small,
not worthy of mention at all,
yet as the air charged, with your frustration red,
the sense of panic would set in, bringing aching dread,
desperation, frantic searching, to recover calm,
I watched the scene played from above,
Like a movie in slow motion, it was never love.

9 comments:

  1. wow those last four lines...yeah, behind closed doors there are far different people...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree”wow”! And it’s all very true; in some sense it’s like we are all actors - smiles for the camera, but once off stage, a different spotlight emerges - reality of life, behind the door, beneath the face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of all those failed celeb marriages with the "it was never love" super work, abigail :)

    monty / bummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou all for your kind comments :)

    This poem may make for uncomfortable reading, but hopefully thought provoking too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Revealing poem that addresses concealing. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartfelt words and all too true in so many cases. Well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sad when hopes are dashed and truth is disappointment...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for your kind comments.

    Lori, it is, but the future is always bright :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the referral to this poem, Abi. What I like about this poem is your use of perfectly ordinary language. This and other darker subjects often beg (and get) more subtlety in the use of language; sometimes almost to the point of obscurity. But this poem, despite it's painful subject, I hope you'll understand me when I say that I find it almost has a charm to it, a very vulnerable charm.

    ReplyDelete